Family arts and crafts don’t require you to have a lot of expensive materials; it also doesn’t require to be creative. There are some few things that may be needed to be considered when creating arts and crafts in the family most especially with the children.
The main purpose of art and craft is for vocational reasons; the style of arts and crafts shows an evolution of how objects can be interpreted in a new form.
1. Puppet Making
When a family try’s making puppets, especially for their children, wonder the complexity of creating puppets that will be simple and interesting for them. There are various techniques used in making puppets:
- Puppets can be made with paper bags, paper chain, Styrofoam and drinking straw. Paper bags can be made with basic materials such as pen, cards, etc. it is usually fast and clean. Finger puppets can be made with paper with holes that are cut out for the fingers to go through.
This is an unusual but creative picture of images, character, one of the good things in collaging is every participant, it’s also cheap, and it’s also good in recycling. The following are items needed for making a collage:
- Pictures cut out from magazines or newspaper.
- A bowl or plate
- A plate
- Glitter, paper strips, and sequins.
3. Mask Making
Mask making requires the gathering of cheap paper plates that can be easy to find in supermarkets, and can be used for a lot of craft lesson; paper plates are great for making a mask with.
- Paper plates with holes on either side.
- Color paint.
- A piece of elastic.
Masking making can prove helpful with the social development of a child and confidence if used in drama presentation. It’s usually best when parents assist with their children in cutting holes for them first so that they could get some ideas of what to do.
4. Potato printing
This sort of art and craft is considered very interesting; it shows different ways that an everyday object can be used to create art. It is required that an adult supervises int the shaping of the potato for the children safety; this sort of activity tends to interest a number of people regardless of age.
- Baked potatoes
- A bowl (for containing the paint)
- Marker (to draw in the shape for carving).
- Knife (only for Supervisors).
5. Clay Relief Tiles
This art and craft is a fun and creative art, which is suitable for all age. The fundamental beauty of it is “clay,” and of course the childhood of everyone childhood must have been filled with the playing of clay. It’s basically rolling out the clay and joining each piece together, one method that has been proven to be effective is the use of paper fiber, which helps in the strength and durability.
How to make a clay relief tile
- Paper clay.
- Clay cutter.
- A bowl of water.
- A wooden board
- Wooden brochettes (for cutting)
- Clay modeling tools (like popsicle sticks)
- Acrylic paint.
- And most importantly Absolute patience.
6. Mixed media collage portraits
This is a great way to play around with texture and color; it is also a great reason to recycle materials. A version of portraits and human selfie, it can be referred to as Portraiture. The best way is to print out examples you need out from your computer ahead of time. Mixed media collage can be used to create characters, where children can add eyes, nose, mouth, etc. My advice is that the more detail the child add to the character the more unique the character becomes.
- Collage materials (sawdust, fabric, thread,)
A form of forming different object shape can be called pottery, it can be created using clay or any other ceramic material, and the heating process can be used to solidify the material to make it hard and durable. Pottery is usually made by forming a ceramic material (mostly clay); it is formed by placing the clay in an object.
We can also call pottery as ceramic art. There is a various method of shaping:
- Hand building: this is known as the first and earliest form that potters used in ancient times. When modeling a clay object, one should know that a clay object can be designed before or after heating.
- Potter’s wheel: Also known as throwing, it is a mechanism where clay is placed at the center of the table, which rotates with a stick and is powered by a strong electric motor.
- Potter needle
- Fettling knife
- Ribbon tool
Embroidery is a family craft that can be used in decorating fabrics or any other material such as thread or yarn. In an embroidery craft, different materials like stones, marbles and beads can be added to it.
- An embroidery hoop
- Embroidery Floss
- Embroidery needles
- Marker (it must be soluble in water)
- A fabric
Weaving can be created from two distinct materials like yarn or thread which can be interlaced at an angle to form cloth. There are other methods of weaving like knitting, braiding or plaiting. This can be helpful for interaction between Mother and child.
- Frame Loom
- Tapestry needle
- Shed stick
- Weaving yarn
- Shed stick
10. Floral Design
This is used to create a flower arrangement; the arrangement is usually used with beautiful flowers. The art floristry goes way back to ancient Egypt; there are different types of floral design arrangement. It can be made out of fresh or artificial flowers; floral design is helpful in decorating a building, home or office place, it’s also good for family bonding and playing in the soil.
Different type of flower arrangement
- Oriental flower arrangement
- Traditional flower arrangement
- Modern flower arrangement
- Clippers, scissor
- Floral sheers
- Wire cutter ( used for trimming gauges of wires)
- Floral knives
- Pick tools