In the last couple of years, rock painting has become one of the best ways to show people that you love and care for them. In fact, it has been described as a way of giving back to people you care about, and it goes a long way to infuse love and joy in the hearts and minds of people. While most people would think that the idea behind rock painting is easy, they would find it interesting to know that it is more complicated than they envisage. For the purpose of this piece, we’ll be sharing ways that you can start rock painting.
To start rock painting, we have made a list of instructions that you will have to follow to enable you to perfect the art of rock painting.
Step 1: Find Rocks;
Before you decide to paint rocks, you will need to find them. The question here is what type of rock are ideal for painting? Basically, smooth rocks have proven time and again to be the best when it comes to rock painting. Undefined rocks, also, can give you this inspiration to create something that is unique and appealing. Before you set out to find rocks, it is important that you bear in mind that there are areas that have been marked as illegal to remove rocks. What can you do? First, you will need to carry out research before you set out. State parks, National parks, railway tracks, and waterways are amongst the places that have been marked as illegal to get rocks. You could decide to look for rocks in other areas.
Step 2: Clean The Rocks;
Once you have been able to lay your hands on rocks, the next thing to do would be to clean them. It is advised that you wash carefully with soap and water, then leave them for a long time to dry. To enable you to make a smoother and more appealing painting, you could decide to use a sandpaper to make a light grit on the rock before you set out to paint. Once the rock is dry, the next thing to do would be to gather your painting supplies.
Step 3: Paint And Protect Your Rock;
You will need to have a creative idea before you decide to start painting. Currently, there are a number of ways for you to create your rock and it includes making use of; marker paints, acrylic paint, and dotting tools to create eye catchy and unique Mandala designs.
After painting, the next thing you would have to do is protect your rock. You need to wait for the rock to dry completely, then you make use of an aerosol spray or a mod podge paint sealer. Either of these paint sealers will keep your artwork free from damage and fade. Aside from these sealants mentioned, there are others that you can make use of.
Rock Painting Supplies You Will Need
While we have discussed the steps you need to take to paint rocks, we’ll discuss some of the items you’ll be needing for the project.
- The first thing you will be needing for this project is rocks. While you cannot get rocks from national and state parks, you will find it interesting to know that you can order online and have it delivered to your home.
- Markers and pen; there are a number of markers to choose from. For beginners, it is advised that you go for the Posca pen. This is simply because it is quite easy to make use of and it affords you the opportunity to erase anything you feel may not add to the beauty of the painting. For those that would want to create incisions in their rocks, tip pens would be ideal for them.
- The paint to use; acrylic paints have been described as the best paint for rocks. One thing you need to remember when choosing this paint brand is that the price range differs. This paint is ideal for those that want to make use of brushes.
- Brushes; to make use of acrylic paint, you will need a set of brushes. You do not actually have to look for something fancy since you are a beginner, although, it is advised that you look out for larger square-edge tip brushes as they can help you color the big spaces. As you continue to paint, you will find out which brush best suits you.
- Sealants; as mentioned above, these sealants will help prevent your rock from damage and even from fading. While there are brush sealants, spray ones have proven to be far better when it comes to protecting your painted rocks. When choosing a sealant for your painting, it is advised that you go for one that is water resistant and non-yellowing. Also, you need to plan out your finishing as well.
Rock Painting Ideas You Can Choose From
- Animal rocks; you could decide to paint an animal on your rock. You will be surprised that it is quite easy to make than you can envisage. As a beginner, you could decide to make research or watch videos online to get an idea of how to paint an animal.
- Rainbow rock; this is quite easy to handle. All you need to do is mix colors together and have them carefully placed on your rock.
- Flower painting; you could also decide to paint a flower. To do this, you need to have more than one color of paint. Also, you will need to make use of tip pens and markers to enable you to get the angles right.
- Heart rocks; this is an ideal way of showing people that you love them. You could paint the heart symbol on your rock or rocks and have them sent to your loved ones. They will definitely appreciate the effort that you put in.
- Zendangle rocks; one of the interesting things about this rock painting idea is that it is quite easy to make, thus, making it ideal for beginners. Also, there is actually no wrong way of carrying out this type of painting.